Tuesday, June 2, 2009

More snippets from my to-be essay (I will rearrange them later) Once again read and please leave comments

Why I Ride

The number one reason that I ride is because riding is empowering. Horses are incredibly powerful animals and when I ride I feel as though I am part of that power. The feeling of moving at a breakneck pace on the back of a 2000 pound animal is similar to the feeling of flying. It is incredibly freeing. When I ride I feel as though I am unstoppable, that nothing can hold me back and that feeling is the most wonderful feeling in the world, a feeling that I only feel when I ride (I need another word for feeling, just too lazy to find a thesaurus right now).

Another reason I ride is to de-stress/relax. The world of horses and riding is completely separate from the real world. When I am at the Barn I am able to let go of the real world and focus solely on riding. When I ride the world dissolves around me and only my horse and I exist.

I ride because of the relationships that develop because of it. Out at the Barn everyone is family, all the riders/boarders help and support each other. This is because everyone at the Barn is there because they share a love of horses, which means no one is there to pass judgement on anyone else which allows for many friendships to develop. Friendships with other people are not the only relationships that develop. The most important relationship that develops is the relationship between horse and rider. If the horse and rider do not have a good relationship they will not work well together and thus will be unsuccessful in all of their equestrian endeavors. Horse and rider must work together as members of the same team. They must understand and respect each other. But most importantly they must trust each other. Just like in any other relationship, if there is no foundation of trust they will fail. I ride because the feeling of knowing that an enormous incredibly strong animal that could kill me on a whim trusts and respects me is the most incredible feeling of all. She follows me wherever I lead and trusts me to do what is best for her.

Okay, time for feedback (I feel that the underlined part might go best somewhere else). I am very stressed about this essay, time to go ride, methinks.

No comments: