Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sentiments for PETA

PETA better known as People for the Eating of Tasty Animals, officially known as People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. I'm going to be very blunt, I harbor a great disliking of PETA. I don't know a whole lot about PETA, but I do know that when the Eight Bells tragedy occurred this year PETA's immediate response was to start pointing fingers at people such as the horse's trainer and owners. I found this act heinous. What happened to Eight Bells was a freak accident and tremendous tragedy. It wasn't an act of hatred or cruelty toward animals until PETA made it out to be. I've got a question for all the PETA fans out there, say you've got a beloved dog that loves to play fetch. One day you are playing fetch when by some freak occurence the ball you are throwing gets out of your yard (which I'm sure is fenced in) and ends up in the street. Your dog, loving the chase follows that ball into the street and gets hit by a car which shatters all four of his legs causing him to need to be euthanized. Does this make you a horrible person who has malicious intent towards all animals? No, this makes you the victim of a horrible accident and quite honestly I don't think you'd like "animal rights activists" sending you nasty emails, writing you offensive letters, or picketing outside your house day and night. It's the same with the Eight Bells tragedy, no one could have ever predicted that she was going to crash and I'm sure if she has shown any signs of injury before the race her owners would have scratched her, so PETA please get over yourselves and quit harassing people who really don't need to be harassed. Here's a thought actually do something to help animals and stop pissing people off.

Now I might greatly detest PETA, but I do agree with some of the things they are sort of halfway fighting for such as shutting down horse slaughter houses (which are cruel and wasteful). I also agree that most other slaughter houses present only a cruel and painful end to the animals they are in charge of and that needs to be rectified. I am also against cruelty to animals which is why I am a member of the ASPCA who actually fights cruelty to animals while PETA merely protests it. If PETA intends to be such a big name in the "fight" against animal cruelty then its members need to be willing to actually do some fighting, at least some fundraising for the ASPCA or some other such organization that actually does something to put an end to cruelty to animals. So please PETA put away the picket signs, get off your bums and do something to protect animals without pissing people off.

No comments: