Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Woes of a Weak Immune System

As anyone reading this blog has probably come to conclude I am often ill and therefore I miss quite a bit of school. This has a tendancy to annoy some people which confuses me because there is nothing I can do about it. Other people often accuse me of skipping which is a major pet peeve of mine for if I was a "skipper" why would I work so hard at getting caught up in my classes? Why would I take a day off only to create extra work for myself whcih will take me a lifetime to make up. After all I have a zero hour so all tests and quizzes must be made up during class or after school. This takes more of my free time than I gained from the days spent at home ill, and since I was probably working vigorously on homework during those days I have lost more free time than I would have by going to school. One would think this would clear me of all suspicion, but alas there are still the few people out there who find it easier to believe that I am purposely missing school so that I can go to the doctor to be stuck with multiple needles and have giant q-tips stuck down my throat and scrambled around a bit. Yes indeed that is my idea of a good time.

Last year I was diagnosed with mononucleosis AKA mono which is popularly known as "the Kissing Disease." If I had a dollar for every time someone insinuated that I was infected whilst snogging I would have no need to go to school because I would have enough cash to fund my premature retirement. Alas (even though it would have made for a good story) I was not infected with a kiss. I was infected at the National Lutheran Youth Gathering in which every day twenty-five thousand teenagers convened in a room the size of a football field. It is not doubtful at all that while my group and I were walking through the crowd in search of seats a mono-carrier coughed or sneezed and I inadvertantly breathed in the toxins. You see there are multiple ways for a person to contract mono, one is kissing, but most commonly it is contracted through breathing in the remnants of an infected person's cough or sneeze. Here is a scenario which could have caused me to become ill: the sick person coughs or sneezes and covers their mouth with their hand then touches a chair or bleacher, the next day I sit in (therefore touching with my hands) the chair or bleacher which they touched, I take communion with the hand that touched the infected sitting apparatus and voila I contract mono.

Here is a list of illnesses I have had that would have killed me in the 17th century:
1)Scarlet Fever (worst week of my life)
2)Pneumonia (twice, once without presenting symptoms, the other while I was sick with the flu)
3)Strep Throat (as a child there was hardly a week that I didn't have strep)
4)Influenza (last time I had ran a fever of 102 for two weeks straight)
5)Mononucleosis (lasted for 9ish months and now I'm dealing with the aftermath)
6)A virus that posed as mumps by settling in my cheek glands and causing me to run a high fever (since the mumps test took a week to present results I was in quarantine at my house for a week)

My life rocks! I hope to be immune to everything by my last year in college.

No comments: