Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Brief Movie Reviews

It seems to me that it has been a very long time since I have blogged about a movie so now I shall briefly describe movies I have seen recently and my thoughts about them.

The Fast and the Furious (the first one): In case there are people such as myself before 3 P.M. yesterday out there who have not seen this movie the plot follows an undercover cop who infiltrates/befriends a group/team of street/drag racers. He is investigating a string of highway robberies of semi-trucks that he believes this team of racers is responsible for. Along the way he falls in love with the head hauncho's (Dominic played by Vin Diesel) sister whose heart he breaks when he informs her that he is a cop. He is also blamed (by the FBI) for a premature arrest and therefore release of another dangerous racing team. After the cop finally figures out that it is indeed Dominic and his team who are robbing the semis he follows them out on a job and ends up saving the life of one of the team members as the truck driver was ready for the robbery and therefore armed with a shotgun. The movie ends with a lot of things left unresolved and therefore leaves the viewer with a hankering to see the sequel and now the third one which is either in theaters now, or will be soon. Quite honestly I enjoyed this movie, but people who have a low tolerance for bad language and gang-type activities (meaning a lot of lawlessness) will probably not. I do want to see the sequel and the third movie, but I doubt that I will ever buy them because the first two are on TV all of the time and I'm sure that eventually the third one will be on TV as well. If you want to see this movie I would suggest renting it or watching FX, TNT, or USA on the weekends.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: I am ashamed that I hadn't seen this movie before last Friday. This movie is a classic about a teenage boy who concocts and brilliantly (but not quite flawlessly) executes a plan for skipping school, getting his girlfriend out of school, and taking his girlfriend and best friend for Chicago to spend the day. This is a must see. I would definately buy it. It is absolutely hilarious (and stupid, but hilarious).

The Simpson's Movie: If you like the Simpson's you'll like the movie. I didn't particularly enjoy it as that kind of stupid/funny isn't really my cup of tea, thus I would definately not waste any money on this movie.

The Holiday: This is a chickflick/romantic comedy. It's abot two girls who have just had their hearts broken who spend Christmas at each other's houses and manage to find love and happiness. It sounds really cheesy, but I, a person who despises corny chickflicks, really enjoyed it because mixed into the vast amounts of cheese was a ton of comedic relief. No, I wouldn't buy it, but I would watch it again on TV. I recomend this movie as an excellent break-up movie. If you haven't seen it and it's not going to be on TV anytime soon and you're really in the mood for a chickflick I would say go ahead and rent it otherwise just wait for it to be on TBS again.

My Best Friend's Wedding: Staged as a Romantic Comedy, but not you're average chick flick. It's about a woman who is asked to be the maid of honor at her ex-boyfriend's/best friend's wedding. They two had made a deal that if they were both unmarried at 30 they would marry each other. Well right as the woman (Julia Roberts) is about to turn 30 she gets a call from this guy asking her if she will be in his wedding. She says yes with the intentions of breaking up his wedding and winning him back. The movie is about her schemes and the turmoil she goes through in trying to get the wedding called off. If you're looking for a happy/sappy ending do not watch this movie. Personally, I think it could have been funnier, but that's just my perogative. It wasn't my favorite movie so I definately wouldn't spend any money to see it (I don't really want to see it again) but if you want to see it, wait for it to be on TBS.

Gran Torino: Absolutely the best movie I have seen this year. This movie is about a widower who befriends his Chinese neighbors and protects them from the neighbor hood gang. I'm not going to say anymore because I think everyone should go see this movie, or buy it when it comes out on DVD and find out what the movie is about for themselves. This movie combines a precise amount of comedy with a truly sad/dramatic situation. I laughed, I cryed, I loved it. I will be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD.

No comments: